Tuesday 16 January 2018

Mermaid Spinner Card

Good morning friends

Prepare for gushing. I can't help it. Karen Burniston's newest release - EIGHTEEN new die sets - will be shipping early next month and the Design Team can now share sneak peeks. If you missed Karen's announcement yesterday, check it out on her blog HERE. Then you will see why I am going to gush.

This is one of the cards I made with the new release. Look at that shark - I mean, how FUN is that shark? I have lots of ideas spinning around in my head - so you will see this shark again and again. And again. The rest of the SEA ANIMALS are pretty cute too (sea turtle and crab) but this shark grabbed my heart right away.


I even happened to have the perfect patterned paper in my stash! The Mermaids Fun panel was fussy cut from one of the sheets in the stack, and because it had gold accents it I cut a seashell from the new TROPICAL SCENE out of gold metallic paper and adhered it to the card front.


Below is the card as it is opening - and there is another shark peeking out. And something else too!


Ta Da!  Really, how can you not get excited about a mermaid riding a shark?


This was the first card I made with the SPINNER SQUARE POP-UP, and when I saw the pop-up mechanism I thought it looked like an alien space ship. When the Design Team gets their sample dies, there isn't any packaging. But I watched Karen Burniston's video and it was actually easy peasy! Usually when I'm tackling a new Pop-Up, I make a prototype out of scrap card stock, but I was confident and went right into making a full card with this one. The mermaid and shark spin up behind the gold Ocean square as the card is closed, then back down into view when the card is opened. Very Very Cool.


OMGoodness, these MERMAIDS! There is a PRINCESS in the die set as well.  You can make them with two different hair styles (or more!)  in any colour you choose. You get to choose the skin & hair colour as well and the same for the princesses. They are just TOO MUCH FUN!


Can we just talk about the new HAPPY BIRTHDAY die for a minute? It's fabulous. Honestly, you are going to see this one used a lot. It's a great size, I love the font ... and the best part? It cuts as a single piece! Love love love this die.


The WAVES are cool too, and not just because they have a stitched edge ... the waves aren't just the same shape repeated over and over to make a border. There are two different shapes in there and it makes a difference on how the waves look - especially if you layer them.



I have managed to get several cards made with the new release, and will be sharing another one later this week. And I'm sure I'll still be gushing.

Tips and tricks:

The glitter paper I used was very lightweight, so I die cut additional shapes from white card stock and adhered the glittered ones on top. That made them nice and sturdy.

I added the mermaid-riding'shark piece to the rectangle with a paperclip until I could determine the position where the shark didn't peek out the top when the card was closed. This was a trick I learned in one of Karen Burniston's How To video's and it works anytime you are trying to place an image to determine where it will sit when the pop-up moves.

The Wish Big was stamped on white card stock, and cut out with a small stitched circle from the TROPICAL SCENE set. It is actually supposed to be the centre accent for the sun die.


Supplies:
Glitter paper - American Crafts
White, pink, rust, grey and brown card stocks
1036 Princess and Mermaid - Karen Burniston  (coming soon)
Signo white gel pen
Black fine point pen
Chalks - Stampin' Up
1037 Sea Animals - Karen Burniston (coming soon)
1042 Spinner Square Pop-Up - Karen Burniston (coming soon)
1038 Tropical Scene - Karen Burnisto(coming soon)
Metallic card stock - Stampin' Up
Twine
Sakura metallic gel pens
1030 Happy Birthday - Karen Burniston coming soon)
Wish big stamp - Papertrey Ink

Thanks for stopping by today

11 comments:

  1. Wow you did a great job incorporating so many dies into this card. The paper was just perfect...love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Waiting until Feb for this release!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job! The square spinner is definitely going to be one of my first 3 dies. Cake is going to be FIRST! Can't wait to see what you do with that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What great taste in dies you have, LOL. I have been swamped, but hoping to get to play with the cake next week. I do have lots of ideas for it - I keep my ideas in a notebook so I don't forget.

      Delete
  4. Super cool! I’m excited to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. had to go to your site when Isaw your shark card!!!! because I had to tell you how awesome it is!!!! I LOVE it and if I had the dies I"d copy it right NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! So sweet of you to stop by. It will be hard to wait, but February 1 will be here before you know it.

      Delete
  6. such a fun card, love the mermaid on the shark

    ReplyDelete
  7. again a wonderful card to see here
    Elma

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanx for the tip about the clip, too! I'll be ordering all the new dies!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I appreciate each one!